Welcoming a baby into the family is one of life’s happiest moments. It’s also one that comes with a certain level of stress and anxiety. For many parents, especially in the weeks before a baby starts to move around on their own, simple household items and features start to look like major hazards.
One of your priorities will be childproofing your home before your baby starts moving. The checklist for this is significant, and you may not have the time to complete it when juggling work and family commitments.
Ensure your home is safe with the help of handyman services in Wyomissing PA, Lancaster PA, and other areas of Eastern Pennsylvania. ProCore Contracting will childproof your home so you can have peace of mind in your baby’s early years.
Essential Areas of the Home to Childproof with Handyman Services
Any area of your home accessible to your baby should be secure and safe. At ProCore Contracting, we take special care when childproofing, and will work with you to identify potential areas of risk.
Some of the most common childproofing steps we can perform include:
- Installing childproof locks in your kitchen to prevent the opening of cabinets and drawers, particularly where sharp utensils, small objects, and cleaning products are kept.
- Adding locks on appliances like fridges, freezers, and dishwashers.
- Installing large cabinet draws with childproof locks. These are perfect for securing your trash basket; a potential source of bacteria. With our home improvement expertise, you can make valuable long-term investments.
- Installing stove shields to prevent your baby or toddler from opening the oven door or reaching pot handles and stove knobs.
The kitchen is a particularly high-risk area, as is the bathroom. In your bathrooms we can help with:
- Childproof locks on cabinets and drawers. We’ll also install these in your laundry room where detergents and chemicals are kept.
- We can adjust your hot water system to maintain a temperature close to 100 degrees Fahrenheit. This is the perfect temperature for your baby’s bathwater.
- Toilet seats can also be latched and locked, protecting your baby from bacteria and other pathogens.
Living areas also need to be carefully secured. Curtain and blind cords, drawers, cabinets, and even hanging decorations are potential hazards.
- Our handyman services can include shortening blind and curtain cords.
- We’ll secure your entertainment cabinets, occasional tables, chests, and other furniture with childproof locks.
- If decorations, pictures, and other hazardous items are hanging too low, we’ll relocate them and remove old hooks and patch/paint any holes left behind.
- Televisions mounted with exposed cables can be hazardous. We can route cables for TV’s and other electronics behind the walls, giving you complete peace of mind.
- Electrical outlets throughout your home will be childproofed with special covers, or, we can replace outlets with child-safe shutters. The latter could be a better solution if you plan on growing your family in the future.
- Heavy pieces of furniture can be secured with bolts or straps to prevent tipping.
Outdoor hazards can also be secured. If you have a pool or spa, we can install or modify your fencing to ensure it is lockable and 100% childproof. Decking can be repaired or upgraded to include child-safe railings to prevent falls.
Contact ProCore Contracting Today and Childproof Your Home
All of these steps are essential. There’s no such thing as being too careful when it comes to the health and safety of your baby. Book our handyman services Pottstown PA, Wyomissing PA, or anywhere else in Berks or Lehigh County today.
Childproofing is an investment in your baby’s health and your peace of mind. Prepare for when your baby starts moving by scheduling a service visit today.